DoTERRA is a popular essential oils network marketing company with an MLM opportunity for affiliates.
Essential oils? Yeah, they’re kinda hot right now.
Thanks to meet-ups, home parties, 3-way-calls, and good ole’ fashioned word-of-mouth marketing, essential oils are being lit and inhaled in households worldwide. Business is booming.
Product-wise, they’re great. 100%. But that doesn’t mean you should be a distributor.
So have I been involved?
This video explains:
All good? Let’s continue…
Company has been doing something right.
Psychological and therapeutical benefits?
Sure, I get it. Product seems to work for some. When a company is hitting hyper-growth and business is generally derived through word-of-mouth marketing, it says a lot about the product.
They claim to be one of the hottest in the direct selling space, and it’s hard to argue.
But really, it’s just them and Young Living. I can’t think of any other players in the MLM essential oils space as large as either of them.
So who is better?
The short story: Young Living has been around longer and does more revenue, but doTERRA seems to be trendier. That’s probably because half of doTERRA’s founders were Young Living executives, meaning they brought their experience directly to doTERRA, so doTERRA’s the “cooler” little brother.
They’re both great companies, and they’re clearly 1 and 2 in the essential oils space.
This Google Trends data tells the story:
Hard to knock them, popularity-wise.
But what about the products? The opportunity, etc, etc…?
Here is my full rundown. Enjoy.
1.) What is doTERRA? doTerra is an essential oils MLM that was founded in 2008 by David Stirling, Emily Wright, David Hill, Corey Lindley, Gregory Cook, Robert Young, and Mark Wolfert. Stirling, Wright, and Hill were executives at Young Living when they left to found doTERRA.
2.) Why did doTERRA split from Young Living? It sounds like the founders wanted to sell essential oils to a larger audience than Young Living was targeting at the time.
3.) What does doTERRA sell? doTERRA sells essentials oils (their main product line), essential oil diffusers, skin & hair care products, health supplements, and some accessories. Their sales reps are called Wellness Advocates.
4.) What are doTERRA’s most popular products? doTERRA Emotional Aromatherapy system (contains 6 essential oils), Family Essentials Kit (contains 10 essential oils), Breathe Respiratory Blend, Frankincense essential oil, Copaiba essential oil, and the Serenity essential oil blend.
5.) How to use doTERRA’s essential oils? You can apply their oils and blends either aromatically (like with a diffuser), topically, or you can ingest them. Some oils work better with certain methods than others. Some of their blends come with a softgel capsule counterpart that you’re supposed to take with the oil for maximum effect.
6.) How do I become a doTERRA Wellness Advocate? To become a Wellness Advocate, you can either pay the $35 enrollment fee or buy one of the product enrollment kits. Wellness Advocates must pay a $25 annual fee to maintain their wholesale discount, but this fee also earns you a free bottle of doTERRA’s peppermint essential oil.
7.) How do I make money as a doTERRA Wellness Advocate? Wellness Advocates get a 25% wholesale discount on all products. Simply buy the product at wholesale and sell it to your customer at retail price. The difference (aka 25%) is your profit.
8.) What is doTERRA’s refund policy? Depends on if it’s currently marketable (basically hasn’t been opened, looks like new). If you return a currently marketable product within 30 days, you get a 100% refund, otherwise, you get 100% product credit or a 90% refund if not marketable. For 31-90 days, currently marketable products get the 100% credit or 90% refund. After that, you get 90% of either product credit or refund, but only up to 12 months from purchase.
9.) Is doTERRA a scam? No. Their compensation plan isn’t the best, but the products they sell work well.
10.) What lawsuits have been filed against doTERRA? Young Living filed a lawsuit against doTERRA in August 2013, alleging theft of trade secrets. These claims were dismissed in 2014 after scientific testing found that none of doTERRA’s oils matched any of Young Living’s oils.
11.) What is doTERRA’s BBB rating? A+.
12.) Comparable companies: Young Living
13.) Recommended? Their products? Yes. Their business opportunity? No, there are better ones out there.
doTERRA sells wellness products made with essential oils.
The products, which range from single oils to toothpaste to supplements, are sold based on a philosophy of natural living that speaks very loudly to millions of people in today’s world.
With an already strong presence in North America, Europe, Oceania, Latin America and Asia, this company continues to expand due to the attractiveness of its product line and to the wide variety of resources available to its independent product consultants which help get the word out about the role of essential oils in a healthy lifestyle.
The founders are the executives and come from two worlds: healthcare and business.
But that’s not all. Did you know 3 of doTERRA’s founders and current executives were former Young Living executives?
They founded doTERRA in 2008 and formed the company with the vision of offering the world an alternative path to health and wellness through the powers of essential oils. With hospitals and health leaders on board, they could really advance the cause of wellness through essential oils.
That is their vision, at least.
Bringing therapeutic-grade essential oils to the world, a world which, by the way, knows very little about essential oils, drives every product, decision, and direction this company takes. The result is a seamless package and a strong message …from vision to product to recruiting, their original philosophy still holds true, and this is in part what makes doTERRA so successful.
If you don’t already know about therapeutic-grade essential oils, get to know them.
These harmless little bottles of joy seem to cure everything. In the MLM space, it’s really just these guys and Young Living. There are others, but they’re way behind doTERRA and Young Living.
Both companies are doing well.
The introduction of the doTERRA line of products is perfectly timed with an international market that’s hungry for natural wellness products, and these are high quality, safe, and pure- the best available.
Essential oils are natural compounds found in various parts of plants, which give plants not only their fragrance but also their immunity to disease…which is the root of their wellness capabilities for humans.
- The scientific community is conducting more and more research every year, which supports natural wellness products like those made by doTERRA
- With more clinical research to back up what ancient cultures have known for centuries, the general public is more and more receptive to alternative paths to health
- All it takes is a dedicated independent consultant to educate on the benefits of essential oils…there are literally thousands of uses for essential oils in daily life, so a dedicated independent consultant can make bank for themselves and doTERRA
- Support for consultants is amazing….video presentations on everything from how to sell to how to manage the robust admin panel are available for free online
- Conferences for consultants are incredibly well run- this is a very professional organization
- The website offers lots of ideas and opportunities for holding live events in local areas… seminars, talks, meetings, and workshops
- Products lend themselves really well to all sorts of daily living applications, and from there the motivated consultant can hold a workshop on anything from making your own air freshener and other household products to staying healthy during flu season…just check out doTERRA’s calendar of events to see what I mean
- Worldwide, relatively untapped market
- Product has zero socioeconomic boundaries
- ‘Fast start bonus’ means consultants earn 20% on purchases and sales made by their new referrals in the first 60 days
- Loyalty Rewards: earn free products
- ‘Power of 4’ team bonus (paid monthly)…generous bonuses of $50, $250 and $1,500 each month for achieving enrollment and sales levels
- $35 registration fee
- Young Living has 12 more years in the game
- Young Living has more product variety (they’re older, duh)
- Their prez used to work for the competition, ensuing lawsuit
- Do not have their own farms
- Do not have their own exclusive oils
- Do not distill their own oil (re-bottler?)
With the good and the bad of doTERRA in mind, let’s look closer at some of their most popular products.
Emotional Aromatherapy System
Emotional Aromatherapy System is a collection of 6 essential oil blends (each in a 5 ml bottle) that each represent a different emotion. The 6 essential oil blends are Motivate, Cheer, Passion, Forgive, Console, and Peace. These can be applied either topically or aromatically, although aromatically is the preferred method (it’s in the name).
Emotional Aromatherapy System also comes with a poster containing the Emotional Aromatherapy System Wheel and other information about the oils/blends. The Wheel shows you which essential oil blend to take based on the negative emotions you’re feeling, as well as the primary ingredients that helps deal with those emotions. Each blend shares an essential ingredient with another blend to create a sort of “continuum”. For example, Motivate and Cheer both contain some sort of citrus, Cheer and Passion contain similar spices, etc.
- Motivate – Dispels feelings of guilt and uncertainty and replace them with courage, confidence, and motivation. Contains peppermint, clementine, coriander, basil, yuzu, melissa, rosemary, and vanilla.
- Cheer – Gives a boost of positivity and happiness when you’re feeling down with a fresh, bright aroma. Contains wild orange, clove, star anise, lemon myrtle, nutmeg, vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, and zdravets.
- Passion – Helps those who feel bored or have lost interest to restore that feeling of daring and passion. Contains fractionated coconut oil, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, clove, sandalwood, jasmine, vanilla, and damiana.
- Forgive – Designed to help you let go of burdens or grudges, helping you to forgive, forget, and move on. Contains spruce, bergamot, juniper berry, myrrh, arborvitae, nootka tree, thyme, and citronella.
- Console – People who are grieving can ease the pain of loss and get help moving on by taking Console. Contains frankincense, patchouli, ylang ylang, labdanum, amyris, sandalwood, rose, and osmanthus.
- Peace – Combats feelings of anxiety, helping you to slow down, breathe, and compose yourself. Contains vetiver, lavender, ylang ylang, frankincense, clary sage, marjoram, labdanum, and spearmint.
Family Essentials Kit
Family Essentials Kit is a collection of 10 essential oils and blends meant to help parents care for their families. The products in this kit are Lavender, Lemon, Peppermint, Melaleuca, Oregano, Frankincense, Deep Blue, Breathe, DigestZen, and On Guard. Each oil or blend comes in a 5 ml bottle. A usage guide is also included.
- Lavender – Myriad of benefits. Ingesting lavender oil promotes better sleep and reduces anxiety, while applying topically can help deal with stress. Can also be applied topically to smooth over skin imperfection.
- Lemon – Used aromatically to cleanse the air, uplift mood, and energize. Ingesting helps with digestion and respiratory function. Lemon is doTERRA’s top-selling single essential oil.
- Peppermint – Ingesting helps with respiratory function and upset stomach. Can be mixed with Lemon and water for a refreshing mouthwash/rinse. Even repels various types of bugs.
- Melaleuca – Diffusing Melaleuca purifies the air. Applying it topically can cleanse and rejuvenate the skin, while ingesting it promotes healthy immune function and protects against environmental and seasonal threats to your health. Also known as tea tree oil.
- Oregano – This common cooking spice contains antioxidants that support your immune, digestive, and respiratory systems when ingested. Diffusing oregano can energize you and kill germs. In a similar vein, you can mix about 10 drops in with 16 ounces of water to create a powerful surface cleaner. Oregano has a high phenol content, meaning you have to be careful not to use more than a drop or two when diffusing.
- Frankincense – Promotes feelings of peace and satisfaction when diffused. Supports immune system, nervous system, and general cellular function when ingested. Rejuvenates skin when applied topically. One of doTERRA’s best-selling oils, more on it below.
- Deep Blue – A soothing, cooling oil blend used to relax sore/tired/aching muscles. Good for massages. Dilute with a carrier oil to reduce skin sensitivity. Contains wintergreen, camphor, peppermint, ylang ylang, helichrysum, blue tansy, blue chamomile, and osmanthus.
- Breathe – Makes your airways feel clearer for better breathing. Can be used aromatically or topically depending on the situation. Contains laurel leaf, eucalyptus leaf, peppermint plant, melaleuca leaf, lemon peel, cardamom seed, and ravintsara leaf & essential oils.
- DigestZen – Ingesting DigestZen supports healthy digestion and soothes indigestion and upset stomach. Contains anise, peppermint plant, ginger rhizome/root, caraway seed, coriander seed, tarragon plant, and fennel seed.
- On Guard – Ingesting On Guard helps the immune, respiratory, and cardiovascular systems. Diffusing it purifies the air and can make you feel more energized. Can also be used as a non-toxic cleaner on many household surfaces. Mixing On Guard with the coconut oil creates a good hand cleanser as well. Contains wild orange peel, clove bud, cinnamon leaf, cinnamon bark, eucalyptus leaf, and rosemary leaf/flower essential oils.
Breathe Respiratory Blend
Breathe Respiratory Blend is an essential oil blend meant to promote better breathing. It makes the airways feel clearer and minimizes the feelings of seasonal threats such as allergies. Diffusing it at night can promote better sleep by calming you down and opening the airways.
Breathe has a fresh, minty aroma, which can make your room smell quite nice when you’re trying to sleep too.
doTERRA recommends diluting it with their coconut oil if your skin is sensitive.
Frankincense, also known as olibanum, is an essential oil with tons of health benefits. Ingesting Frankincense supports healthy immune and nervous system function, as well as general cellular health. Diffusing it promotes relaxation and feelings of peace and satisfaction. When applied topically, it can rejuvenate and freshen your skin, as well as providing some of the relaxation and mood-balancing effects from other application methods.
It comes from the resin of trees in the Boswellia genus.
Frankincense saw heavy use in ancient societies like the Babylonians, who burned it in their religious ceremonies and used its resin for all sorts of medicinal purposes. It’s even covered widely in the New Testament, believe it or not.
Frankincense is often referred to as the “king of oils” for its vast health benefits.
Copaiba is an essential oil similar to black pepper oil that improves health and wellness in many areas. Ingesting Copaiba oil provides your body with powerful antioxidants and supports several systems: cardiovascular, respiratory, immune, digestive, and nervous. In addition, taking copaiba promotes calm and relaxation.
Applying it topically cleans and clears the skin while reducing blemishes, which is why it’s used in so many cosmetic products like soaps and lotions.
Copaiba comes from the resin of trees in the Copaifera genus.
Serenity is a doTERRA’s proprietary essential oil blend that helps you sleep faster, better, and longer. Its main ingredient is lavender, which you already know decreases feelings of stress and tension, which makes falling asleep easier. Diffusing it at bedtime therefore seems like the obvious method of application. Applying it topically also brings about the same calming benefits as diffusing it, though, so it’s up to you.
doTERRA suggests using the oil in conjunction with its softgel counterpart for maximum effect.
Serenity contains lavender flower, cedarwood, ho wood leaf, ylang ylang flower, marjoram leaf, roman chamomile flower, vetiver root, vanilla bean absolute, and Hawaiian sandalwood.
The executive team knows what they’re doing.
Taking a cue from global blockbuster Pandora Jewelry, the product development and training is so extensive that independent product consultants can’t help but learn the “culture” of doTERRA, and by absorbing the philosophy of wellness through essential oils, they can more effectively spread the word.
They develop brand ambassadors, not just salespeople.
Unlike any other direct selling enterprise, save for perhaps Mary Kay or Avon (although comparing to Mary Kay and Avon is apples to oranges since they began as offline companies), the resources available for making this product sell are incredible.
If you compare ’em to other online marketing ventures, it’s light years ahead of the rest (hint: SpeedFeeder and Cabi).
But the real opportunity comes from the fact that so few people know about essential oils and the wonders they can perform in daily wellness.
The doTERRA business is simple:
Pay a $35 registration fee…
…use your wholesale price discount (25%) to purchase products…
…earn free product with the ‘loyalty rewards program (and maybe sell them too)…
…refer your customers to your free website shopping portal and get more bonuses…
…and finally, sponsor new consultants and receive bonuses on their sales.
That’s really it.
It’s easy to imagine doTERRA becoming a major worldwide brand recognizable in every household. The potential is huge. Essentials oils are growing in popularity as people become more conscious of what they’re putting into/onto/around their bodies, yet most people don’t know about essential oils yet and that they are an important aspect of healthy living. A perfect storm for doTERRA.
So, with endless room for expansion, a wonderful line of products that appeal to a vast swathe of the population and knows no economic barriers, plus an incredible support system for training and selling, doTERRA is set to do some serrrrriooooous things.
doTERRA is insanely tempting. No question, they’re hot, and they know it.
But hear me out for a sec…
Product-wise, they’re great. 100%. But that doesn’t mean you should be a distributor.
Whether you wanna keep investigating doTERRA or not, I spent hours researching and writing this review.
For what it’s worth, I did get this feedback from one of our students in our private Facebook group who happened to be on this exact page before joining:
Just saying. Watch the video. And thank me later…this one’s on me. (wink)
Remember, to get growth, you’ll shamelessly ask family and friends to join up. Or spam your Facebook and Instagram feeds and stories with doTERRA offers. Even if the products are good, you know how annoying that can be.
Do you want that for a home based business?
There is a better way.
You can build real business without the home parties, Facebook spamming, 3-way-calls or wandering around Wal-Mart prospecting well-dressed stay-at-home moms.
So, is it for the money? Here’s your doctor-recommended treatment for your product-peddling. See it here.
On me. Wink.